ballpark quilting

I even quilt at the ballpark!  and in between games at home.

The baseball t-shirt quilt has come together well.

DSC04026

next up, to back and quilt.  I decided not to use batting.  There is heavy blue and white fleece as the backing, which I have found is enough for bulk and comfort.

I started with stitching 1/2″ inside each block, but decided it still wasn’t enough to hold it well together.  After a bit of discussion with other quilty friends, I decided to free-motion quilt around each “Lakehill”.  This came together surprisingly fast, with a pretty good result.  Different colour thread to match each shirt.

DSC04029

I really enjoy free motion quilting, but forget when I haven’t done it in awhile.  Just better do more of it I guess:)

Now for the part I can take to a ball game.  Binding. DSC04030

Half done.  I used to make larger binding, but find that cutting 2 1/4″ strips and pressing that in half makes a nice size edge.   Slightly soft but not too floppy.  The added bonus of doing binding in the stands is to create interest for a potential buyer at the silent auction.  And maybe interest in a commission.  maybe:)

sumac back

Yay! My Sumac tree is recovering.  Funny how a little tree can draw emotion from me.

DSC04009

But here it comes, little leaves starting,

DSC04010

Hopefully it will continue to grow happily into a tree like the old one.

Happy mother’s day to all of you moms out there.  I was “surprised” with waffles and a cup of coffee in bed. And some really cool homemade ( schoolmade would be a better term) gifts.

A string heart, tissue paper flowers and a cedar bark flower.  Awesome!  And my boys said that no matter what, they wouldn’t fight all day.  Well, they tried really hard.  And did really well, but not quite.  I also did my part and tried not to get angry with them.  That’s easy when they don’t fight!  Good day overall.  Feeling very loved.

And I got to have time to sew, today and thru the week.  I am still working on my Canada quilt, but am fitting in the baseball t-shirt quilt for a silent auction for the ballpark.  Research online suggests fusible interfacing for structure when sewing t-shirts together.  Bought that.

I didn’t get any more responses for t-shirts, but got some more old jerseys from the ballpark. Still needed more to make a decent size quilt.  How about a centre piece. Yup.

Here is our logo, and my graph paper plan.

DSC04011

Then it was just a matter of cut and piece.

DSC04012

came together really well, sorry about the colour

DSC04013

Still not quite big enough.  Time to add a few borders. I find that this is the best way to try out border fabrics.

DSC04014

And it’s coming together pretty well!  I am not sure if I will leave it like this, or add a few strips at top and bottom using the blue and baseball fabrics to make a rectangle. Wait and see.

DSC04017

Have I mentioned before that I really need a portable design wall, rather than laying quilt pieces out on the kitchen floor.  Too many times my boys run through the kitchen and squares get blown.  Ah well, one day I may even have a sewing room again.  Until then, the kitchen floor it is.

Have a good week ahead.