ballpark quilting

I even quilt at the ballpark!  and in between games at home.

The baseball t-shirt quilt has come together well.

DSC04026

next up, to back and quilt.  I decided not to use batting.  There is heavy blue and white fleece as the backing, which I have found is enough for bulk and comfort.

I started with stitching 1/2″ inside each block, but decided it still wasn’t enough to hold it well together.  After a bit of discussion with other quilty friends, I decided to free-motion quilt around each “Lakehill”.  This came together surprisingly fast, with a pretty good result.  Different colour thread to match each shirt.

DSC04029

I really enjoy free motion quilting, but forget when I haven’t done it in awhile.  Just better do more of it I guess:)

Now for the part I can take to a ball game.  Binding. DSC04030

Half done.  I used to make larger binding, but find that cutting 2 1/4″ strips and pressing that in half makes a nice size edge.   Slightly soft but not too floppy.  The added bonus of doing binding in the stands is to create interest for a potential buyer at the silent auction.  And maybe interest in a commission.  maybe:)

sumac back

Yay! My Sumac tree is recovering.  Funny how a little tree can draw emotion from me.

DSC04009

But here it comes, little leaves starting,

DSC04010

Hopefully it will continue to grow happily into a tree like the old one.

Happy mother’s day to all of you moms out there.  I was “surprised” with waffles and a cup of coffee in bed. And some really cool homemade ( schoolmade would be a better term) gifts.

A string heart, tissue paper flowers and a cedar bark flower.  Awesome!  And my boys said that no matter what, they wouldn’t fight all day.  Well, they tried really hard.  And did really well, but not quite.  I also did my part and tried not to get angry with them.  That’s easy when they don’t fight!  Good day overall.  Feeling very loved.

And I got to have time to sew, today and thru the week.  I am still working on my Canada quilt, but am fitting in the baseball t-shirt quilt for a silent auction for the ballpark.  Research online suggests fusible interfacing for structure when sewing t-shirts together.  Bought that.

I didn’t get any more responses for t-shirts, but got some more old jerseys from the ballpark. Still needed more to make a decent size quilt.  How about a centre piece. Yup.

Here is our logo, and my graph paper plan.

DSC04011

Then it was just a matter of cut and piece.

DSC04012

came together really well, sorry about the colour

DSC04013

Still not quite big enough.  Time to add a few borders. I find that this is the best way to try out border fabrics.

DSC04014

And it’s coming together pretty well!  I am not sure if I will leave it like this, or add a few strips at top and bottom using the blue and baseball fabrics to make a rectangle. Wait and see.

DSC04017

Have I mentioned before that I really need a portable design wall, rather than laying quilt pieces out on the kitchen floor.  Too many times my boys run through the kitchen and squares get blown.  Ah well, one day I may even have a sewing room again.  Until then, the kitchen floor it is.

Have a good week ahead.

time flies

And a week flew by…

I decided I needed a new project! Hahaha, yeah right.  But I came across something I wanted to do.  Making a quilt for a silent auction or fund raiser is something I have long thought about.  I have been thinking about doing a baseball quilt for such a purpose.  After brainstorming and searching for ideas, I just didn’t have a clear image of what I wanted to make.  Now, I have seen many versions of t-shirts quilts and I have made a few memory quilts with a few t-shirts in them.  Our baseball park was having a sale to clear out old t-shirts, jerseys, hats, and other gear.  Ooh! I thought.  Logo t-shirts here I come.  And the ballpark let me have them for free when I told them my intention.  With about a dozen cut, I am at 36″x24″.

DSC03971

Lots to go and I have put it out to others in the ballpark with the hopes of getting more shirts. Cutting logos off t-shirts makes for a lot of waste fabric.

DSC03973

I also bought some fabric for fill in spots.

DSC03975Can’t wait to get enough and put it together.

I also made a few more blocks for my Canada 150 sampler quilt this week.

DSC03970

The other block I made is intended to be like the prairies seen from the sky.

DSC03979

Image result for patchwork prairies from the sky

hmm, not quite, but the image is conveyed for me.  And it is tough to make images with only 2 colours.

That’s all I have for now.  Time to get some rest before the new week begins.